Friday, August 15, 2008

First Volunteer Meeting!!!

As some of you know, I am involved with an awesome ministry called Mercy Ministries. It is a home where girls between the ages of 13 and 28 can go and get their hurts, habits and hang-ups healed through the love of Christ. They have 3 homes in the United States housing a total of 90 young women at this time. The newest home will be in our back yard in Lincoln. The home will house 40 girls and there are more to be open in the next few years, throughout the United States. If you have never heard of them, check out their website, located at the right side of my blog under favorite links.

It was a crazy time trying to get to the meeting. I was running late but what else is new with me. I took “business” 80 when I should have taken interstate 80. Time was running short and needless to say it was a wild hair rising ride, in and out of traffic. I am sure my blood pressure hit the roof! This was a very important meeting for me, for my heart and soul is 100% with Mercy. These girls are my story. My heart was pounding, I was nervous and excited beyond words. I have been waiting over a year for this. Then I finally arrived, 15 minutes late, got lost inside this gigantic church and wondered if I would ever connect with this group of volunteers. And at last, I could breathe, there they were!! I joined the group as Selah, director of development, was sharing about the new home and what all is to come. It was a great meeting with a group of wonderful women who have a heart for these girls, as well. It was great to finally meet with Selah; we have talked on the phone a few times and shared a few emails. I will be visiting the girls at least once a month sharing tips on keeping their skin clear, basic hygiene habits, how to dress in style but keeping it modest and how to see the inner beauty God gave them. I also have a “stuffed-animal” ministry; each girl will have her own stuffed-animal to be her friend in the beginning of a scary journey. I had the best time picking out 40 different animals for each of the girls!!!

I won’t give out all the surprises in this post, but will let you know that on Tuesday September 9th, there is going to be a big prayer meeting over the home and the 700 girls that are on a waiting list. If you would like to come join us in Lincoln that night let me know and I will give you more details, but if you can’t make it please mark the date on your calendar and remember these girls and this home in your prayers that day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These scriptures encourage me and I hope they will show you the secret to tranquillity.

Ps. 37:3-7
Ps. 37:3 - Trust in the Lord and do good.
Ps. 37:4 - Delight yoursefl in the Lord
Ps. 37:5 - Commit your way to the Lord
Ps. 37:7 - Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him.