Friday, August 22, 2008

Philippians 4

I had a meeting last and was reminded that I (we) need to remember to always be grateful even in bad times. If your anything like me, being grateful and cheerful during a daunting time can be very difficult! And sometimes in these moments remembering what God has already blessed us with can be totally irrelevant. We read from Philippians 4:6,7,8 and 9 and this is what I got out of it.

I went into Philippians 4 and read the whole thing; someone once told me to not always take one or two verses and read just that, to read a bit before and after to get a bigger picture.


In the beginning of this it clearly states that God does not want His children to hold grudges against each other. We are to forgive each other. I know personally I have a bit of work a head of me on this one. It is hard to not hold a grudge with someone when they have deeply hurt you or betrayed you. But I also believe that if we don't try to control the situation and allow God to change our hearts we will be able to see the other person's heart.


4-5Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute! This really opened my eyes as to what Jason and Susan (my pastors!) are all about. I have witnessed them both celebrate God everyday and in everything they do. And they both are making it clear that they are on my side and working with me and not against me! This was big for me when I read it!


6-7Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

8-9Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies. This part will take me time to learn the discipline that it takes before it becomes habit. It clearly is a battle in the mind! And it is about re-programming your mind; easier said than done…oops, did I just take control again??!!!

As for the rest, I do have allot to be grateful for. As I have said, I do have a roof over my head, I have plenty of food and don’t have to worry about going hungry, I have two of the best kids in the world… my dogs, I have a car that runs great, I have two of the most giving parents… even though there are strings attached, I have my own business… a life long dream, I have my health… which is a miracle in it’s self seeing how much I abuse it in every way possible, I have way more clothes than I need, I have nice things in my home, and best of all I have friends that truly care about me even when I can’t see it or except it they are still there for me! All of this is so easy to see and except when my thinking is clear! Oh I just thought of the most important thing I have over all this “stuff” is my salvation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I guess when I think about it on a heart level; I am very rich with blessings. Thank you for showing me this (Pastor Jason and Susan); as you know when I am in the negative for to long, I can get lost in a big pity party and all this great stuff goes out the window. And in away, I guess that is an insult to God for He has blessed me with all this stuff… wow! That was eye opening!

As I continue to ponder on this I believe I will be getting allot more out of this.

23Receive and experience the amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, deep, deep within yourselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a big change from just a few hours before! God certainly is working and answering prayers. How could we ever doubt Him?

I'm proud of you, Karen!

Mer

susan y said...

God is so faithful! His Word has the answers we need for our problems today.

Keep being thankful!